Southwestern Vegetable Soup

I have a good recipe for you today. I plan on being slightly interesting this week, because I have a few fun recipe ideas.

I had a fun weekend and went out to bars and stayed out very late. I was never 21 in college so I have to enjoy it now. =) On Sunday I went to the Farmers' Market and bought some fun things. I also listened to the songs "All Summer" and "Erase Me" by Kid Cudi on repeat. I'm always like that - I get obsessed with a song and then I can listen to it a hundred times in a row. Yesterday was busy with Power Group and then the LA Actors Tweetup at Busby's East. I feel silly using that word but it is pretty self-explanatory - Twitter + meetup. It was fun and I met a lot of new people! It did get really loud at one point, though, and I went and sat down and texted for about five minutes just because I couldn't handle trying to hear people anymore. I don't have a great sense of hearing and trying to talk to people in a loud environment can be a little stressful. We then moved to a quieter room, though, and it was much more enjoyable.

The weather has also taken a 50 degree swing downward. Last week it was 113 and right now it's 64! We even had a thunderstorm and a pink sky last week. If it were 2012 yet I would assume the apocalypse was nigh.

One fun vegetable I bought on Sunday is this:


It's an Eight Ball Squash.

That plus a big can of tomatoes I bought at TJ's inspired me to create a freakin' delicious soup that I shall now share with you.



Southwestern Vegetable Soup

1 onion
1 cup mushrooms
1 can tomatoes and juice
1/4 c frozen corn
1/4 c frozen peas
1 stalk celery
1 cup kale stalks
1 carrot
1 small summer squash or zucchini (I used an eight-ball squash)
1-2 cups water
1 sprig fresh basil
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp bay leaves

Dice vegetables.

Brown onions, add mushrooms and brown.

Add remaining vegetables and water. Cook until veggies are desired texture. I cooked for about 45 minutes so the kale would be nice and soft and the tomatoes reduce and thicken. Season to taste.

Makes about four 1-cup servings, depending on how much water you use.

To make the soup more substantial, you could add some brown rice and black or adzuki beans.

Nutrition Facts







It's like a mix of tomato basil soup and tortilla soup. Yum.

Links:
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/vegetables/squash-glossary.asp Squash Glossary. Did you buy a squash but you don't know what kind it is? Look here.

And thank you very, very much to Queer Vegan Runner!!! I won her $35 CSN store giveaway and I can't wait to spend it on some new sheets. =)

Do you use Twitter? Have you ever been to a Tweetup or a Meetup? Do you enjoy meeting strangers, or do you find it stressful?

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know