Unbroken

On Thursday I woke up really early to eat breakfast with my mom before they left. I was sad saying goodbye so I already set up a Skype date with my mom for Sunday.

At 7:30 AM it wasn't oppressively hot yet, so my step-mom and I took baby brother to the park.


We stayed for about an hour until it got really hot. When baby brother decided he wanted to leave, he just started packing up his toys! So mature and responsible! :)

My lunch and dinner looked like this:


Salad leftovers! My sweet mom packed me enough portioned-out salads to get me through my last couple of days in Kansas and my flight home. I also had an Amy's burger at lunch and some Chinese broccoli at dinner.

On Friday I had salad again for lunch and then we (my dad, step-mom, and I) went back to Yard House for dinner! I got the exact same thing as Monday. We wasted a little time before our movie and stopped into Gap, where I made my dad take a picture of me with this shirt:


Cute!

We saw Captain America. I really liked it! Chris Evans was great -- I've been a fan of his since Not Another Teen Movie. I also love movies set in the 40's, and action movies in general.

But now I want to tell you about one of the most important parts of my week.


UNBROKEN. Yes, it's the large print version, whatever.

This book, written by the author of Seabiscuit, is the true story of Louie Zamperini, an Olympic sprinter who survived on a tiny raft in the ocean for 47 days and then through years as a POW in Japan. It's an intense book, but it isn't all negative. Louie is still alive at 94, and the book was written through intense research and years of interviews with him. He has an incredible memory and he remembers every tiny good thing someone did for him. The book is full of how terrible people can be, but also how brave and kind. I'm glad that their stories are being told.

I actually cried a little bit telling my step-mom about the book today. That would make this only the second time I've cried while discussing literature -- the first time was sophomore year of high school when I was telling my mom the story of The Iliad. I still remember that because I felt so lame but was also impressed that The Iliad still has such emotional power after thousands of years.

Has anyone read this book? What did you think?

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know