Instant Shepherd's Pie; Sexism is Alive and Well in America

I made money today! I love that. I realize that most people make money about five days a week but for me it's much more infrequent and thus more satisfying.

Anyhow, yesterday I went and saw TV director Guy Bee at The Actors' Network - his most recent work is Supernatural. Then I came home and prepared for my evening audition at 7:30. Right before I left, the weather got all crazy. First I heard the loudest crack of thunder echoing through the mountains, which was surprising because we never get thunder. Then it dropped twenty degrees. If we were in the Midwest, I would have thought a tornado was coming! Instead we just got some light rain and lots of big lightning. This week has been crazy. My audition went really well, and it was funny because I was playing a 16-year-old and was surrounded by teenagers and their parents. I felt so old!

Last night I watched Law and Order: SVU and the new Law and Order: Los Angeles. I love SVU because Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni are the two most awesome people on television and I was quite pleased with LOLA, as well. It's just fun to see LA on TV.

Today I filmed an industrial in Pasadena (the payday I mentioned) and then went Trader Joe's shopping. One of the reasons I haven't had much interesting material to write about lately is because I've just been wanting plain, unadulterated fruits and vegetables - whole tomatoes, carrots, apples, and baked potatoes. But today I was craving frozen peas and corn so I bought some at TJ's and modified my standby, Instant Colcannon.

I'm going to call it...

Instant Shepherd's Pie
1 organic potato
1/2 cup kale
1/4 cup frozen artichoke hearts
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup frozen corn
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
salt and pepper or 21 Seasoning Salute

Clean potato well and pierce several times with a fork. Microwave for two minutes. Then add your frozen corn and peas and microwave another minute or until potato is cooked and veggies are thawed.

While the potato is in the microwave, steam your kale and artichoke hearts.

When all the veggies are done, mash them all together with a fork and season to taste.





To season, I used this new TJ's purchase:





It's good. But I would warn you, it tastes kind of lemony. It's closest in taste to lemon pepper.

Ahh, craving sated. Until tomorrow.

I don't have many plans for tomorrow before going out with friends in the evening, so I plan on spending some serious time creating my 5-3-1 goals. I agree with Faith, writing down your goals can be intimidating because then you have something to fail at! BUT, you also have something to aspire to. And work towards. And I am a lot more reward-pursuant than I am risk-averse. Well, when it comes to dreams, at least. When it comes to money I'm definitely more risk-averse!

Links
http://queerveganrunner.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/monday-fun-day-csn-stores-giveaway/ Giveaway!

The rest of my links for today really show that sexism is alive and well in America. There are many people out there who still think that men and women are fundamentally different and that women are less intelligent, weaker beings who try and control men and use them. If not that severe, then at least they are looking for a good provider while men are just out to spread their seed. All of these stereotypes are so wrong and it's upsetting to realize how many people still hold them to be true.

http://www.eatthedamncake.com/2010/09/27/not-everyone-wants-to-have-sex-with-everyone/ Responding to an Elle article alleging that men want to have sex with every woman they see and women don't fantasize about strangers. As if!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1312395/Forget-Mars-Venus-cliches-Theres-difference-male-female-brains.html The first viewpoint states that there's no difference between male and female brains, but a dissenting opinion argues that men are smarter because they have larger brains. As someone who knows both men and women, I know that's not true.
http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/lubricated-holes-and-mangina-attack-dogs-a-glimpse-at-the-mra-abyss/ This link in particular is very disturbing so don't read it unless you're ready for some real hate speech. But it will make you realize that these kinds of ideas still exist and we need to be aware of them so we can combat them.

I do feel confident that most Americans do not share these beliefs (especially the ones featured in the last link) but some of these stereotypes are more pervasive than we'd think and we need to be aware of them and make sure that we don't accidentally hold them, ourselves.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know