Indian-Spiced Barley Stew

Record-breaking heat is ripping through LA right now. It was 113 degrees today in the Valley. OMG! So of course I did something that makes no sense and I made soup.

I would have liked to add an onion and some celery but I just used what I had on hand.

Indian-Spiced Barley Stew
1 cup uncooked barley
1 cup yellow split peas
10 medium carrots, chopped
5 cups water
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp umeboshi plum paste (optional, sub for soy sauce)
1/4 cup chopped dulse (optional)
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1 bunch basil, chopped

If using an onion, brown for a few minutes in a soup pot. Then add barley, split peas, carrots, and water. Watch water as the soup cooks and add more as necessary to keep desired consistency. Add seasonings and basil at the end. Makes about 10 1-cup servings.



It's really good!!

I'm going to get coffee with my mom's co-worker's cousin tomorrow morning. I love those distant connections! We're going to Urth Caffe so I'll be sure and take some pictures for a post tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know