Salade de Lentilles et Chou Frisé

I booked a job! Yay!

I had a great weekend, capped off by the booking today. But let me start at the beginning.

Friday night I got home, unpacked, and watched Children of a Lesser God. Stupid title aside, I really liked it. The acting was great and because I studied ASL in college, I had a really great time trying to keep up with the ASL dialogue. Ahh I love sign language, it's so expressive.

On Saturday morning, I had to go grocery shopping because I had left myself absolutely nothing to eat in the apartment. So I walked down to Whole Foods and bought a delicious array of produce.


There you see almond milk, two plums, a bunch of basil, two yellow onions, yellow split peas, french green lentils, one bunch of kale, one bunch of romaine, two yellow potatoes, one heirloom tomato, brussels sprouts, two golden beets, one red beet, sundried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, a turnip, carrots, and celery.

The damage? Less than $30. This is my proof that Whole Foods does not have to be expensive. Just don't buy the really expensive stuff. And this new almond milk was only $2, which is about what it would cost at TJ's. I had it in my coffee today and it's good.


BTW, don't buy specialty ingredients at Ralphs if you have a choice. I noticed that the big bottle of Braggs Liquid Aminos is about $12 at Ralphs and it's about half that price at Whole Foods.

Yesterday was BUSY and AWESOME. First up I worked out at Cardio Barre, so that's almost an hour of walking there and back and one hour of ass-kicking cardio and weights. When I got back I got ready and drove to USC for my audition. The audition was really fun, it involved some improv and wordless communication, as I was playing an Italian woman flirting with an American guy.

After the audition I went to the bar The Draft about five minutes from my house to watch the Broncos game and cheer for Jammie. My two new friends from Meetup.com and I were on the lookout for #53 the whole time, as was my mom. She took this picture of his tackle.


After the game I went to PARC, the young adults group at the Unitarian Universalist church. I'm so incredibly unspiritual but for some reason they like me anyway and it's fun, so I keep going. But I did realize I was the only one with my eyes open, looking around at everyone during a meditation. Eh.

So this brings us to today! I had a really fun audition for a TV show that was 100% improv and I found out I booked it! I work on Wednesday. =)

On Saturday I did some cooking, so I have a cool recipe for you. I'll post another one tomorrow.

Preparez-vous...

Salade de Lentilles et Chou Frisé

2 cups kale
1/2 cup French green lentils (they hold their shape after cooking)
1 heirloom tomato
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 small white onion
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tbsp vinegar - red wine, balsamic, or rice wine
fresh cracked pepper

1) Cook lentils. Rinse, then simmer in a few inches of water for 20-30 minutes or so until desired softness. I cooked about 2 cups of lentils and saved the rest for later.

2) Wash kale, de-stem, and chop finely. (Save your stems and use them in a stir-fry or soup like you would celery stalks!) Steam for 30 seconds until bright green and soft enough to eat easily.

3) Dice remaining vegetables and cut basil into thin ribbons.

4) Mix all ingredients together and season with vinegar. Other options - add a squeeze of lemon juice or a tablespoon of cooking wine. Serve as is or sprinkled with nutritional yeast.






Tip: Buy organic vegetables. This simple salad is all about the delicious flavors of the vegetables, so make sure they're tasty. And feel free to experiment with other fresh herbs. And I like to use lots of greens, but you could definitely cut down on the kale (and I'd recommend cutting it smaller than my pieces) and focusing it around the lentils.

Isn't it pretty? And yes, I gave my own recipe a French name because I used French green lentils. It just means Lentil and Curly Kale Salad.

Links o' the Day:




I saw this video on another blog, and she said that it made her cry lots of happy tears. I was like, "Oh sure, these things never make me cry." And then guess what? I cried. Quite a bit. Just ignore the first five seconds, because I don't know why they started the video with that girl talking. But her reaction to seeing her dad is seriously priceless.

http://challengeoppression.com/2010/08/16/the-r-word/

This Little Piggy Had Tofu I like this blog; it's largely about raising kids vegan and it broaches some interesting topics.

Deadline Hollywood: Why The Emmys are Below B-List An interesting look into the politics behind award-show fashion.

I Eat Trees' Vegan Primer She's soliciting advice for new vegans.

Come back tomorrow for a delicious soup recipe! Seriously, it's awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know