Light and Fresh Pasta Salad

I have another lovely dinner for you guys today. And I can even post the recipe this time!

For lunch yesterday I ate the leftover veggies from the previous night's sandwiches along with some leftover salad and Indian curry hummus.



For dinner I made pasta salad, fruit salad, and BBQ seitan and tempeh. We ate it in our dining room, but I think it would make for great picnic food. That's another thing I love about vegan food - it doesn't go bad and give you diseases when it sits out in the sun for a few hours. Yay!

The fruit salad had grapes, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, a few blueberries, Braeburn apples, and an entire fresh pineapple that I cut up. All organic. Yippee.



The BBQ seitan and tempeh was the easiest part of the meal - I just put it in a pan, let it brown a little, then put on some barbecue sauce and cooked it until it was warm. I didn't know whether my dad and step-mom would like seitan or tempeh, and that's why I made both. Tempeh ended up being the favorite, but both got eaten.



And now, what you've all been waiting for!

Light and Fresh Pasta Salad

1 12 oz. box whole wheat pasta (I just used the rotini they already had)
1 cup green beans, steamed or boiled for about 5 minutes
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
5 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 chives, diced
2 cucumbers, diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 ears corn, sliced off the cob (yes, you can eat it raw)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup parsley, chopped
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
5 tbsp lemon juice
Cracked pepper

1) Cook the pasta according to box directions, then cool completely.
2) Cut green beans into two- or three-inch-long pieces and boil for five minutes, then spray with cold water to stop cooking.
3) Chop veggies and mix with pasta.
4) Season to taste with vinegar, lemon juice, and pepper.

And enjoy! There's no added fat, and it's high-protein. I could also see adding some olives and white beans. I'd also like to see it with fresh basil and mint as the herbs. And to make it all raw, omit the pasta and keep the green beans raw.



Here's my plate.



By the by, Bitt from Bitt of Raw is having a cool giveaway for a Zuvo water filter.

http://www.bittofraw.com/2010/08/importance-of-good-water-zuvo-water.html

And if you're reading Women Food and God by Geneen Roth, check out this online book club. I just received the book as a gift so I'll be keeping up.

http://www.honormyhealth.com/2010/08/16/women-food-and-god-chapter-one/

I think I'm going to Omaha, Nebraska for a few days next week on vacation. If anyone knows something cool to do there, let me know!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know