I'm Home!

Well I'm home from my trip to the Midwest. I realized I hit up Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska in one trip (plus Arizona and Nevada if you count plane stops!). Maybe not everyone's idea of a thrilling getaway, but I had a great time. Now I've got a busy week coming up - I have an audition tomorrow in which I have to speak Italian, going to a sports bar with some other people to watch the Broncos game tomorrow, an audition on Monday that will be 100% improv, an event at The Actors Network on Tuesday to learn how to decipher TV production charts, and then another Broncos game on Thursday! It's shaping up to be an exciting week.

The last couple days in Kansas were a little bittersweet, as I've been trying to absorb as much of baby brother as I can. I've been lucky enough to witness most of his big milestones before - I was there when he got his bottom teeth, his top teeth, when he learned to crawl, and when he started walking just last week. We just took it easy the last couple days so I didn't make any big dinners.

I did have some steamed kale with leftover cheesy sauce from the mac 'n cheese. It was really good! It would also be good on steamed broccoli for that elementary school cafeteria feel.


We ordered Chinese food for dinner Thursday night. I posted before about moo shu vegetables, but I'll explain it again. Moo Shu Pork was my favorite Chinese dish pre-vegan, the one I ate on my birthday. After I went vegan I found out that Moo Shu Vegetable is just as good! All the deliciousness comes from the veggies and sauce. Just make sure to ask for it without eggs, because they're sometimes included. Moo shu veggies usually are made of cabbage, carrots, green onions, mushrooms, maybe bamboo shoots, a light sauce, and are flavored with plum sauce and wrapped in thin pancakes. I like mine just fine without the pancakes, though. And I used to hate the plum sauce but now I kind of love it. I also like the sauce because it has to be the least oily of all Chinese sauces, I couldn't even see any oil in my dish. I ate about 2/3 of this and had the rest cold for breakfast. What can I say, I love cold leftovers for breakfast.

Try it.

For my travel food yesterday, I brought two small baked potatoes, some nutritional yeast, several cut-up carrots, and two Granny Smith apples. I ate everything but one of the apples. I packed my potatoes in the container from my Chinese food the night before!



I'm really proud of myself because I managed to stick this in my suitcase:


And then brought my suitcase as a carryon. My dad was sure they'd make me check it but it fit in the overhead compartment! I hate checking luggage. I'm just strange and I like to keep all my stuff with me - I think it came from traveling in Europe and Asia and always keeping an eye on my stuff. That also encourages you to pack light, which I'm really good at.

I thought I'd show you a few more interesting pictures from my Omaha trip. First up was a German poster from the 1940's I saw in the Air and Space Museum.



I found this really interesting and relevant to current health concerns. It says "Light and Air in the Home!" and was trying to fight Rickets, caused by Vitamin D deficiency. I was born in Germany and my mom said that the old German ladies always told her to put baby me in the window for ten minutes a day. I feel like before I went vegan I never heard people worrying about vitamin D here in America, so I found it interesting that the Germans have been cognizant of this potential deficiency for a long time.

And now some non-health and vegan-related photos.




I'm carrying my Melie Bianco bag. It is VEGAN and I bought it for about $25 on Ebay. It's awesome. I don't have any leather purses, so if you see me with an eerily leather-like purse, it's not.


Week-old Francois Langur.


Fighting over fish food.





Meercats.



Bunnies were my favorite animals when I was a kid. Just ask all my tchotchkes.



That's a statue and the world's longest pedestrian bridge. And me.

And in case you like planes...



That's a Goblin - it's a little mini plane that was supposed to hook onto another plane. They could detach it but never could re-attach it. Oops!





That last one is (baby being attacked by) the SR-71 Blackbird, pretty much the king of all planes. We've gone to many air and space museums just to see one.

Links o' the Day:
http://girliegirlarmy.com/ Fashion, recipes, news. I like it and they have a good newsletter.

Jezebel: Why you must see unretouched images, and see them repeatedly.

Yes Means Yes: Prop 8 Findings of Fact Just the bare-bones facts of the recent Prop 8 decision. It's informative.

And speaking of Prop 8, I was reading an article by Charles Krauthammer yesterday in which he called the overturn the most radical re-definition of marriage in human history. This is just not true. The most radical re-definition of marriage isn't including homosexual couples - it's re-defining marriage as being about LOVE. Marriage used to be about property, but now we believe that people get married because they love each other. That is a huge re-definition, a massive change, and one that I not only agree with whole-heartedly but also one that paved the way for the equal rights of gay couples to enter into the same loving contract.

Well I'm off to make some food. I got some good stuff and I have a really good recipe idea percolating. So look forward to that ;)

Have a good weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know