Cooking Sprouted Chickpeas and Gardein Beefless Tips

Food Diary:
Breakfast: Chickpeas and broccoli
Lunch: Salad, Gardein beef tips
Snack: 1/2 serving zucchini pasta
Dinner: Instant Colcannon, Cocoa Berries

I made some sprouted chickpeas over the past two days. It's really easy - you start with dry chickpeas, then soak them overnight in some water (use lots of water because they puff up a lot). Then put them in some sort of mesh bag for a couple days and rinse them a few times a day. Lots of people sprout with jars, but it's so much easier to get some sprouting bags. I just keep them in my dish drainer and rinse when I'm at the sink for some other reason.

You can eat sprouted chickpeas raw if you like the taste. I don't really like it, so I cooked mine. Cooking raw sprouted chickpeas may seem counterintuitive, but you still get benefits of sprouting plus a really short cooking time - like ten minutes instead of an hour and a half. I steamed up some broccoli, squirted ketchup all over it, and ate breakfast.


Can you see the little sprouts? These were not my sproutiest chickpeas because I was impatient.

I Skyped with Mom while we both cooked - she made roasted vegetables and stuffed pattypan squash from Oh She Glows (I gave her the recipe) and I made zucchini pasta with cheezy sauce.



The sauce has silken tofu, nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic, turmeric, Braggs, and black pepper. I always liked my mac 'n cheese with tons of black pepper. This made a lot of sauce because I used a whole package of silken tofu.



I added some tomatoes. :)

When I was at Kroger today, I spied some Gardein Beefless Tips on a big sale, so I figured this would be a good time to try them.






I like the short, sensible ingredient list and really good nutritional stats.



The taste was fantastic, and I ate them condiment-free. The texture was interesting, because it's very soft, like a fatty meat, even though they're really low fat. I don't eat many meat analogs but if you're craving one, I would say Gardein is an excellent choice.

And I ate an entire head of lettuce for my salad! What can I say? :)



I also dyed my hair today because my roots were really bugging me. My hair is really, really dark and it seems like even if the dye color is supposed to be "darkest brown" or something, it looks too light. And when your roots grow in, they're darker than the rest of your hair and that makes your hair look greasy.



My hair is NOT greasy in this picture. So do you get what I mean?

So I dyed it today, and I think it looks better. You'll have to wait to see the results, though. ;)

Just for fun, here's one of my senior pictures from high school of me with black hair.


Three other bits of news today:
1) I bought one session of a "circus" class where you learn to do Cirque du Soleil-type stuff. I have a year to use it, but I'll be sure and give an update when I do.

2) I did a student film a couple of months ago and they sent me the link to the finished product today. So if you want to see a short experimental silent student film that involves me fake-barfing up Mountain Dew, check it out!
http://vimeo.com/13551026

3) My name is in Variety today! If you don't know, Variety is one of the main industry trade papers, so that's a fairly big deal. My movie Bloomington got a short, positive review. At first they spelled my name wrong and I was super bummed but I sent them an e-mail and then they fixed it. =)

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know