Two Recipes! Everything Kale Pesto and Sizzlin' Skillet Salad

So, today I worked out twice, cleaned my bathroom, wrote a letter to my friend in Tonga (she's in the Peace Corps), and came up with two recipes that I will be nice enough to share with you.

Breakfast: Small sweet potato
Lunch: 1 c. brussels sprouts, 1/2 cup black beans, 1 zucchini of pasta w/ my new Everything Kale Pesto
Snack: 1 c. brussels sprouts
Dinner: Sizzlin' Skillet Salad
Dessert: 1 small sweet potato

I thought I invented kale pesto, but I googled it and it turns out it already exists. But not in the delicious form that I have created it. My pesto has lots of flavors in it, which is why I dubbed it "everything" pesto.



There's the pesto in an old (clean) garlic jar. I'm obviously not very disciplined about getting the labels off. So here's how you make it:

In a food processor, grind up:
2 cups kale, de-stemmed and ripped up
1 cup basil
5 pcs. sun-dried tomatoes
a couple slices red bell pepper
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp garlic
1/2 tbsp miso
1/2 tsp turmeric
a little squirt sriracha
a little splash red wine vinegar
And add 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk to make desired texture.

Now the good thing here is you can delete any of those ingredients or add different ones to taste. And there's no oil or fatty stuff. You could use pumpkin seeds if you wanted, though, and I think it would go really well. So in this recipe, you have tons of nutrients, including vitamin B12, and lots of protein from the nutritional yeast. I also considered calling this "Weight Loss Pesto." Because it's about a million times better for you than traditional pesto.

I like finding new ways to eat raw kale. =)

Now, on to my second recipe, in which I use these:




Tomatillos.


The Sizzlin' Skillet Salad (serves 2)

1 potato, diced (I used red)
1 tomato, diced
1 tomatillo, diced
1/4 c. frozen okra
1/4 c. frozen corn
cumin and chili powder to taste
squirt of ketchup
1 c. kale
4 basil leaves, torn up

Start cooking your potato in a couple spoonfuls of water. Cover to cook without burning. Add tomato and tomatillo, then okra, corn, and seasonings. When fully cooked, add ketchup and mix. Then add kale and basil leaves and cover for 30 seconds-1 minute just to soften up the kale. Scoop onto a big bowl of lettuce. I also added raw red pepper slices. Mix it up and eat it.

I say this makes two because I ate half of it and saved the other half for later. You could also totally add some of my instant bbq beans and it would taste delish.





And before I go, I have one more thing to share. Check out the trailer for my new movie, I'm in it! I'm the one trash-talking, if you couldn't tell. =)

"Bloomington" trailer from Fernanda Cardoso on Vimeo.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know