Somewhat Samosas

I woke up at 9:45 today (late, I know) and checked my e-mail first thing. I'm glad I did that because I had an e-mail informing me of a last-minute audition at 10:45! I threw on some clothes and makeup and busted out the door and I made it! Plus, I did pretty well. It was fun.

For lunch today I had the samosas I made yesterday. I mentioned that I messed up the samosa wrapper but it ended up working out better than I thought. It just wasn't very pretty, so I only took a picture of the insides. I can't remember exactly where I got my recipe, but I think it was What the Hell Does a Vegan Eat Anway (at veganmenu.blogspot.com).

Samosas


4 ears of corn
1 tbs. olive oil
1/2" fresh turmeric root
1 tbs. lime juice
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tbs. fresh cilantro
1 small jalapeno
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs. ground flax seed

Puree all of the ingredients in the Vita-Mix and let sit for 15 minutes. Pour onto a teflex dehydrator sheet as close to the edges as possible. Dehydrate at 115F for 3-4 hours, flip and dehydrate for an additional 2 hours. Cut into eight 3.5" X 7" rectangles (approximately).

Check it every so often to make sure the shells don't get to stiff, you want them to stay flexible enough to fold later.

(for the filling)

2 tbs. olive oil
1 cup cauliflower, cut into tiny florets
1/2 cup cremini mushroom, sliced thinly
1/2 cup snow peas, finely shredded
2 tbs. tamarind soaked for 20 minutes in 1/4 cup of warm water, then pressed through a sieve
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. red pepper flake
1 small jalapeno, diced
1 tsp. cumin seed, fresh crushed
1 tsp. coriander seed, fresh crushed
1/2 tsp. turmeric root, grated
1 tbs. nama shoyu (or sea salt)
black pepper to taste

2 tbs. raw pistachio nuts, chopped (optional)


Toss all the ingredients together to coat well, and place on a teflex sheet in the dehydrator for at least 2 hours. Taste for salt/pepper.

Put 2 tbs. of filling (plus 1 tsp. pistachio) on each rectangle and fold up/over into a small triangle shape.

Of course I didn't follow this recipe all that well and I certainly didn't add any oil.




I also had some curried veggies that I totally adapted from Russell James. The vegetables were supposed to be curried with a mango chutney, but I only had about half the ingredients for the curry and the chutney so I combined them and made a mango curry sauce. I dehydrated the veggies yesterday (broccolini, mushrooms, and tomatoes) and put some sauce on them and devoured. Here's the original recipe: http://therawchef.com/therawchefblog/mushroom-curry-with-parsnip-rice-spiced-mango-chutney#more-558. As you can see, mine looks nothing like the original.



I applied for a job today blogging about animal rights issues. I would be awesome at that because I know a ton and I'm very dedicated. I am very interested in health, but I am most definitely an ethical vegan and that will always be reason #1. So, I hope I get it. Plus, I need money.

Just Audrey is giving away a big ole bag of chia seeds: http://justaudreyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/chia-seed-giveaway.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJlR+%28Just+Audrey%29
If you win these, I recommend you make chia pudding with almond milk and cinnamon and some agave. Chia pudding is real and it is cool. You just soak chia seeds in some liquid and they poof up in 10-20 minutes.

I think I'll be having salad for dinner tonight. Because I love salad!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know