Farmers' Market Food Explosion

I bought so much freakin' food at the Santa Monica Farmers' Market today. I actually made a list:

Salad mix, chard, a cauliflower, a 5 pound bag of oranges (for 3 dollars, mind you - and these are gooood oranges), a fennel bulb, 3 baby artichokes, sugar snap peas, broccolini, apples, mint and basil, cherimoyas, an avocado, strawberries, asparagus, and walnuts. As if that wasn't enough, I went to Whole Foods afterwards, where I bought jungle peanuts, hemp seeds, grape tomatoes, flax seeds, cacao nibs, frozen berries and corn, kelp noodles, zucchini, umeboshi plum paste, dry lentils, tamarind pods, a yellow pepper, oat groats, spelt berries, and coconut water. SO much food.

I was pretty excited to see the raw jungle peanuts, which were a new addition to our bulk section. I just heard of these for the first time this week -- apparently they are the only kind of peanut that is safe and tasty to eat raw (aflatoxin free). They are red, but I tried a couple and they taste just like peanuts! Here's a picture:


So, as far as what I've eaten the past couple days -- yesterday I was out and about all day so I had to bring food with me. I brought some zucchini and apple chips (just sliced and dehydrated), "breaded" mushrooms, and zucchini hummus with yellow pepper slices and a cucumber. My breaded mushrooms were just portobello slices wetted with Braggs and rolled in ground flax seed and nutritional yeast and dehydrated. They were delicious.



For dinner last night and tonight I had salad with avocado, tomato, and lots of sauerkraut. I bought a jar of sauerkraut a couple of weeks ago and now it's just about gone and I need more! I have read about making your own sauerkraut, but that requires a week or so of fermentation and I am not about to inflict that upon my roommate.

Tonight I started to make a Pad Thai with kelp noodle recipe from Russell James. I made a sauce and am marinating the kelp noodles in it overnight. One ingredient is tamarind, and I bought whole tamarind pods at WF today. They look pretty crazy when you crack them open:


The avocado I had on my salad today is called a Pinkerton. I only ate about a slice of it so there is plenty left over. It's fascinating to see the different kinds of avocados available at the farmers' markets here in LA. I bought a different kind today but I can't remember what it's called. They are both supposed to be less oily than Hass, and that was definitely true for the Pinkerton. But it was super delicious!



Tomorrow I'm going to my Cardio Barre class and to a German meetup in the evening -- kind of a Kaffeestunde. I'm excited!

In giveaway news, Lil' Earth Muffin is giving away Funky Monkey snacks!
http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/funky-giveaway/
Yum yum.

Today I will leave you with a picture of my mom and me petting a parrot. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know