Buckwheat Groats = Awesome

I had a good weekend! I got some miscellaneous things done and of course I made more food. I had my job interview yesterday, and although the pay is tempting unfortunately I realized I would have to turn it down just because I need more flexibility because my acting career has to come first. I also watched the 1978 movie Ice Castles last night, and I did really enjoy it (like my mom knew I would).

Today I went to the Unitarian Universalist church I've been going to recently -- I'm not really a church-goer but I am a friend-meeter so there ya go. I also had coffee with a girl from my acting class, which was really fun. Yay for social time.

I finally got a chance to use my sprouted buckwheat groats and they are great! I read some conflicting reports about how long you should let them sprout -- some said only a day, and some said three days. I went for three days because I like maximum nutrition and I want to get the most bang for my buck. Here's my awesome sprouts in the colander:

I ended up using half the sprouts for scones and half for bread. I pretty much made up my own recipes and I'm very happy with how they turned out.

Here's my scone recipe:
1.5 cups sprouted buckwheat groats
1 banana
3 dates, pitted
1 apple
1/4 cup blueberries
cinnamon

Nutritional Info


Fat: 0.8g
Carbohydrates: 15.1g
Calories:68.0
Protein: 1.8g



Mix together buckwheat sprouts with banana, dates, and cinnamon until you create a dough. Process in apple pieces until they are the desired size. Mix in blueberries.

Dehydrate 2 hours at 115, then 3 more at 105. Turn over onto a mesh tray (w/o nonstick sheet) for 2-3 more hours until dry on the outside and moist on the inside.

Number of Servings: 9

And a photo of a scone with some homemade berry-date jam:


Sorry that picture is a little blurry. My poor camera died right before I started this blog so I have to use my cell phone camera.

For the bread I used the sprouts with some Braggs, tahini, and rosemary:


It tastes realllly good smeared with some pesto cashew cheese (leftover from my quiche-making experience).

I have also been walking a lot and I finally took a picture of this crazy house with a tree bending all the way over it:

I'm not sure how I would feel about that!

I also made a crap-ton more dried cranberries because I lovelove them.

AND, I'm really happy about the healthcare bill passing. I was denied health insurance (for a stupid reason) and the only plan I could find cost $100 a month with a $10,000 deductible (ridiculous!!) and I was facing the unhappy prospect of being uninsured. Now it seems that will not happen. Yay.

I have a busy week ahead of me, full of exciting career news.

I also figured out how to fix a little glitch on my acting website so now all my links work. Yayo technology!
(It's at www.erikaheidewald.com by the way)

Popular posts from this blog

The Dangers And Benefits Of Coffee For Our Health, Facts That We Should Know

Corn Nutritional Value & Health Benefits As Low Calories Source Of Carbohydrate

Some Of Asthma Causes and Symptoms That You Probably Not Know